80s Love Songs
The 80s were an awesome era for music, and love songs were a big part of that. Whether it was a little poppy, a lot sappy, or a power ballad, 80s love songs were never short on the love factor.
Some of the best 80s love songs went on to become classics and are still frequently played on the radio.
Most of the songs that fall under the pop category are some of the most classic 80s love songs and are still just as popular today as they were in the 80s.
Super sappy or just plain sweet, these love songs were perfect for a slow dance at any party, especially proms and weddings.
Lionel Richie came out with the awesome love song Hello, then paired up with Diana Ross to sing another popular hit Endless Love. Jennifer Warnes and Joe Cocker brought us the song Up Where We Belong, and Stevie Wonder’s hit I Just Called to Say I Love You was special as well.
Whitney Houston sang Saving all My Love for You and The Bangles kept the Eternal Flame lit while there was a Total Eclipse of the Heart courtesy of Bonnie Tyler.
Hair Band Ballads
Who says heavy metal has to be all screaming guitar riffs? Sure, they were still included in most love songs, too, but they were slower and toned down a bit.
Some of the biggest power ballads were popular with the men because despite the fact that they were love songs, it was okay because the cool guys with the long hair that usually rocked out sang them.
The girls naturally loved these songs, and some even started to like heavy metal because of some of these popular love songs.
Poison came out with Every Rose has its Thorn, and Cinderella made it known that they were Nobody’s Fool. Firehouse came out with a Love of a Lifetime while Warrant had a power ballard called Heaven.
Whitesnake came out with Is this Love? while Van Halen sang Why Can’t This Be Love? Skid Row hit I Remember You and Guns N’ Roses came out with their Sweet Child O Mine song.
Here are some memorable 80s love songs in the decade.
- Keep On Lovin' You - REO Speedwagon
- Can't Fight This Feeling" by Reo Speedwagon
- Hurt So Bad - Linda Ronstadt
- More Than I Can Say - Leo Sayer
- Take My Breath Away - Berlin
- Never Gonna Give You Up - Barry White
- Waiting for a Girl Like You - Foreigner
- Call Me - Blondie
- Addicted To Love - Robert Palmer
- All Out Of Love - Air Supply
- Sailing - Christopher Cross
- I Want To Know What Love Is - Foreigner
- Careless Whisper - George Michael
- Cherish - Kool And The Gang
- Time After Time - Cyndi Lauper
- Broken Wings - Mr. Mister
- It Must Be Love - Madness